Echo & Imaging: For Referring Physicians
We offer full services in echocardiography, including:
- Transthoracic echocardiography with detailed quantitative analysis of systolic ventricular function and of diastolic function and hemodynamics.
- Three-dimensional imaging in selected patients, including those with cardiac tumors, valvular lesions and congenital heart defects.
- Contrast echocardiography with left-sided contrast for patients with sub-optimal imaging, and with saline contrast for shunt detection.
- Stress echocardiography, including:
- Treadmill echocardiography for the diagnosis of coronary artery disease.
- Supine bicycle echocardiography, especially in patients with valvular heart disease, pulmonary hypertension and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. o Dobutamine stress echocardiography for diagnosis of ischemia, for evaluation of myocardial viability in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy, and for evaluation of aortic stenosis with “low-gradient.”
- Transesophageal echocardiography in outpatients and inpatients
Echocardiography is performed at three separate locations, including the UCSF Medical Center at 505 Parnassus Ave (415-353-1262), Mount Zion Hospital (415-885-7321) and the Cardiovascular Care and Prevention Center at Mission Bay (415-353-2873).
Full-service noninvasive cardiac MRI and CT imaging is offered through the Department of Radiology for indications including the following:
- Full anatomic imaging and flow analysis of children and adults with congenital heart disease.
- Viability imaging of patients with myocardial infarcts prior to stent placement or coronary artery bypass graft surgery.
- Evaluation of cardiomyopathies, including arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia, infiltrative and restrictive cardiomyopathies, and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
- Characterization of cardiac masses.
- Assessment of patients with suspected constrictive pericarditis and other pericardial diseases.
- Evaluation of the thoracic aorta, including aneurysms, dissection and vasculitis.
- Evaluation of coronary artery disease, bypass grafts, stents and anomalous coronary arteries using cardiac gated CT.
Cardiac MRI and CT are performed at all UCSF sites, including UCSF Medical Center at 505 Parnassus Avenue, Mount Zion Hospital and China Basin. Call 415-353-2573 to schedule an appointment.
Full nuclear cardiology services are currently offered at Parnassus and the China Basin Imaging Center (call 415-353-2573 to schedule an appointment), including:
- Single Photon Emission Tomography (SPECT) Exercise and Pharmacologic Stress Testing.
- Cardiac PET perfusion and noninvasive quantitative assessment of myocardial blood flow and coronary flow reserve.
- Cardiac PET Myocardial Viability.
- Combination of cardiac PET/CTA.
- Equilibrium Radionuclide Ventriculography.
- Assessment of Inter and Intraventricular Synchrony.